Wow, it’s the final installment of the Summer Splendour SAL and we saved the fabulous Puffin to the end to finish your design off perfectly.
You will need the following colours for the Puffin…
#712, #738, #844, #310, #347, #783
Use 2 strands throughout unless stated otherwise.
To begin, stitch the birds breast…
#712: Brick Stitch and #738: Brick Stitch the areas as indicated in the photo. Keep your stitch direction downwards and curved to match the shape of the body.
Next, #310: Back Stitch the outline of the birds body and feathers from the neck around to the top of the head. Use the photo as a guide…
Stitching the Wings and Feathers…
#844: Brick Stitch the top section of the wing as shown – keep inside the black back stitch outline. (If you don’t like Brick Stitch then you could stitch long and short or split stitch instead).
It’s important to stitch inside the black outline and not over it so that you can see the lines of the feathers.
The feathers on the lower edge of the wing are stitched in #310 – stitch long chain stitch from inside the wing to the tip and do several of these across to fill the area. (I have drawn on the long chain stitch in the first photo to make it easier to understand how the chain stitch fill the shape).
For the Tail feathers do the same again and fill with long chain stitch.
To complete all these feathers on the wing and tail, with #844 – long stitch inside each of the black chain stitch just to give a bit of contrast. Ta da…
Stitching the Puffins Head…
- Firstly, in #310: long & short stitch the neck and top of the head.
- #347: Split stitch the line at the start of the beak.
Use 1 strand for the following details…
- #347: Split stitch the eye circle
- #310: Straight stitch above and below the red eye circle to fill the shapes.
- #738: long stitch from the lower black eye shape to the outer face.
- #738: Split stitch to fill small space on lower edge of face.
- #783: straight stitch to fill the 3 areas shown in photo (1 on the face and 2 on the beak).
- #310: Split stitch the black shape on the beak.
- #347: Fill the rest of the beak in with split stitch going carefully around the shapes filled in with the other colours.
- #712: Split stitch the face.
- #844 (1 strand): Satin stitch the inner eye.
- #310 (1 strand): French Knot for pupil.
- #844 (1 strand): split stitch a line down the inner edge of the beak.
To finish the Puffin, #347: Satin Stitch the feet and then with 1 strand of #844 stitch a line across to separate the toes.
Your Beautiful Puffin is complete!
Now for the Remainder of the block to finish…
Stitching the Sun..
#783 (1 strand): satin stitch the outer rays.
With #783 use 2 strands of thread to create a couched circle – use 1 strand to anchor the thread down as you go around. There is a tutorial on how to couch a circle here.
When complete back stitch around the couched circle edge in #743.
Complete the block by Back Stitching the outer edge in #472 and then your beautiful puffin is complete…
The Summer splendour SAL is complete!
I really hope you have enjoyed stitching along with this pattern and thank you so much to all of you who joined in and have been sharing your progress along the way.
Please continue to share your progress no matter how long it takes for you to complete.
I can’t wait to see your finished Patterns so don’t forget to share your wonderful stitching on the Happy Stitching FB Group or send me some pics and I’ll post them here.
Don’t forget you can also share your stitching on Instagram with #stitchdoodlesembroidery.
If you would like to know how to make this in to a mini quilt so you can hang it on your wall – take a look at this tutorial here.