Welcome to the ‘Festive Forest’ Stitch A Long
This Stitch A Long has now finished.
Do you need help with any of the stitches?
A Stitch A Long doesn’t provide you with the step by step instructions for the stitches themselves – it is a tutorial on how to stitch the pattern design – colours, techniques and stitches used etc. I will link to a ‘How to’ for certain stitches where I can, if you need further guidance, please take a look here …
Welcome to Week 2…
This week we are stitching the Candy Canes…
I will show you how to stitch the Candy Canes first and then move on to the birds. Both Candy Canes are stitched in the same way.
Use 2 strands throughout unless stated otherwise.
Using the photos below as a guide, #321: Split stitch the inner red stripes and then outline with back stitch. When you get to the curve at the top you can change to split stitch to make it smoother.
#ECRU: Satin stitch to fill inbetween the red stripes.
- #906: Satin stitch the 2 main triangular areas then Back stitch around the outer edges of the curves at the top
- #166: Straight stitch inside the 2 top curves and the central dividing area.
- #906: Straight stitch the ends of the bows at the bottom.
Next we will stitch the 2 different birds perched on top of each Candy Cane…
Stitching the Owl…
You will need the following colours: #829, ECRU, #415, #310
Start with the Owls Chest and in ECRU Split stitch from the neck down to fill the area. Next stitch the Ecru area of the face – this is such a small area you will probably just find straight stitching the area is easiest – make sure you curve around the eye shape.
Note: With such small areas as these it can be tricky to be neat. People stitch differently and if you find it is just looking too chunky then you can switch to 1 strand – also going down a needle size (a size 9 is perfect – 7 might be too big) – can help with small areas as well.
- #829: Stitch tiny chain stitch to fill each wing (or split stitch if easier).
- #829: Satin stitch the face and ears.
- #829 (1 strand): Straight stitch the inside edge of the eye area as in the photo-this is really just an outline and doesn’t need to fill the area. Make sure you create a nice pointy looking beak in between the eyes.
- #310: straight stitch a circle for each eye.
- ECRU: Tiny straight stitch the white detail for the eye as well as the small little area on the top of his head in between the ears.
- #310: Straight stitch the feet.
- #415: Split stitch the scarf.
The Next little bird is a lot less stitching…
You will need the following colours… #3820, #3803, #310, ECRU
- #3820: Split stitch the birds outline curves and then long straight stitch the tail feathers outline.
- #3820: Chain stitch x 3 for the wing feathers and do tiny back stitch for the eye circle.
- #221: straight stitch inside each chain stitch & add a bit of detail under the chain and on the tail.
- #310: straight stitch beak, feet & to fill eye.
- ECRU: add a little detail on the lower section of the eye so he is looking upwards.
Just to finish this weeks stitching – you need to stitch the little branch sticking out from the cabin next to the Owl as shown in this diagram…
Week 2 is complete!
Make sure you show off your beautiful Candy Canes in the Happy Stitching FB Group or on Instagram with #stitchdoodlesembroidery.
If you need help along the way just ask in the FB group as there are lots of lovely people stitching along with you who can offer lots of advice and support if needed.